Slough has been placed in Tier 4 – a new tier announced by government to prevent the spread of covid-19 – it has been announced today (Saturday 19 December 2020).
Being in tier 4 means:
• Residents must stay at home and only travel for work, essential supplies and medical necessity
• Residents must work from home unless this isn’t possible
• Residents can only meet one other person outdoors in a public place
• Residents must not travel outside of Tier 4 unless for work or an emergency
• Residents cannot stay overnight anywhere else in the UK
• Residents cannot travel abroad
• Non essential shops, hair and beauty outlets, indoor entertainment venues, gyms and leisure centres must close
The relaxation in the regulations over Christmas has also been cancelled; with Tier 4 residents – including those in Slough – required to spend Christmas at home, only with those they live with.
Support bubbles are not affected by the new tier.
The announcement came amid a rise in cases across the south east and east of England, including in Slough along with increased details on a new strain of the virus which appears to spread far easier than the original strain.